Want the taste of home all year round? Try Ball®’s Apple Pie filling that’s full of all the fragrant fall flavors like cinnamon and nutmeg. You can use this classic recipe to make old-fashioned apple pie, or as a special treat on top of ice cream!
12 cups sliced, peeled and cored apples*
2-3/4 cups sugar
¾ cup ClearJel® cooking starch
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2-1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
1-1/4 cups cold water
1/2 cup lemon juice
*To treat apple slices to prevent browning, apply Ball® Fruit-Fresh® Produce Protector according to the manufacturer’s instructions or submerge cut apples in a mixture of 1/4 cup lemon juice and 4 cups water.
1. Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set asie with bands.
2. Blanch apple slices, working with 6 cups at a time, in a large pot of boiling water for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm in a covered bowl.
3. Combine sugar, ClearJel®, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large stainless steel saucepan. Stir in apple juice and cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, and cook until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice, boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Drain apple slices and immediately fold into hot mixture; heat, stirring, until apples are heated through.
4. Ladle hot apple pie filling into a hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
5. Process jars for 25 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.